Fighting Stage 4 Leiomyosarcoma one day at a time

Hello Everyone,

Thank You for visiting, I initially started this blog to keep family and close friends updated on our journey to Houston Texas, to visit with Dr. Burzynski, a world renowned doctor, who specializes in cancer.

A year and a half ago, MB was diagnosed with stage 4 Uterine Leiomyosarcoma and given no more than a year to live.

MB is only 50, she hasn't seen any of her kids get married or have babies. She still has a thirst for life, three kids and a Husband who absolutely adores her. My sister is 23 and youngest brother only 17. We still need our Mama Bear. If you are, or were, blessed enough to have an MB like mine, who has always loved you unconditionally and supported you, you will know how we feel. Nothing can replace a mother's love. Nothing.

Because MB's cancer is very aggressive, we had no time to waste. The very same day the doctor told us to prepare for hospice, MB and I said, "Fu*k That!", Hospice is a dirty word at our house.We started applying to the Burzynski Clinic as soon as we got home from the doctors appointmet, after 3 days of collecting medical records and sending faxes we were finally accepted.We never took time to think, we just acted. No more than a week and half after we were told to go home and prepare for death, we were on a plane headed to Houston TX in search of life and a second chance. We've left California and our family during Thanksgiving.

Even though the treatment is crazy expensive and we are away from home during the holidays, this is still the best decision we ever made. Sometimes you have to bet big to win big!

We aren't the Kardashians, we are just the Vargas' and we are going through the "realest" hardest battle of our lives...This is our story....If you'd like to start reading from the very beginning click on November, on the lower right hand side of the page and the very first post is the "Adventure Begins"

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Only Time Will Tell.......

I'm going to be leaving a piece of my heart in Texas and MB will be leaving most of her life savings, neither of us regret it though. Its only been about two weeks since MB started the treatment and I can already tell that it is working. When we arrived both of her legs were swollen and she was coughing a lot. Within the first week of treatment the swelling dissapeared and this week she has barely coughed. She feels like her belly is less swollen which is a good sign because most of the tumors are in her belly.

Today MB told me that maybe she would only take one of the pills instead of the whole regimen. That really upset me because I feel like everything in combination is helping her. I understand why she only wants to take one, keeping up with the regimen will be around 10,000.00 dollars a month. When we get home we have a huge battle to fight with Kaiser to try to get them to cover all her meds. I have been trying my best to fundraise but I understand this is a difficult time for most to give.

I will definitely miss Taliboo, he is taking us to the airport tomorrow. The doctors told us we need to come back in two months so maybe i'll see him again maybe not. Only time will tell.

I wish I was a billionaire so I wouldn't have to ask for money but this is what my MBs disease has reduced me to. I Thank anyone who can spare some dollars to help us continue with the treatment until we find some sort of insurance to cover it. Thanks to everyone who has supported us. Every little bit helps.

1 comment:

  1. Dear M & M's

    Have a safe flight home back to the Motherland……Texas is Big but California is Mo Betta !! I am sure that it will help her to be back with the rest of "her crew" as well….hopefully she can keep in touch with her motivators in texas when they get back home as well…..I hope and pray for all of their recoveries….. as for your God Sent Angel……only time will tell.
    Peace and Love
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete