Fighting Stage 4 Leiomyosarcoma one day at a time

Hello Everyone,

Thank You for visiting, I initially started this blog to keep family and close friends updated on our journey to Houston Texas, to visit with Dr. Burzynski, a world renowned doctor, who specializes in cancer.

A year and a half ago, MB was diagnosed with stage 4 Uterine Leiomyosarcoma and given no more than a year to live.

MB is only 50, she hasn't seen any of her kids get married or have babies. She still has a thirst for life, three kids and a Husband who absolutely adores her. My sister is 23 and youngest brother only 17. We still need our Mama Bear. If you are, or were, blessed enough to have an MB like mine, who has always loved you unconditionally and supported you, you will know how we feel. Nothing can replace a mother's love. Nothing.

Because MB's cancer is very aggressive, we had no time to waste. The very same day the doctor told us to prepare for hospice, MB and I said, "Fu*k That!", Hospice is a dirty word at our house.We started applying to the Burzynski Clinic as soon as we got home from the doctors appointmet, after 3 days of collecting medical records and sending faxes we were finally accepted.We never took time to think, we just acted. No more than a week and half after we were told to go home and prepare for death, we were on a plane headed to Houston TX in search of life and a second chance. We've left California and our family during Thanksgiving.

Even though the treatment is crazy expensive and we are away from home during the holidays, this is still the best decision we ever made. Sometimes you have to bet big to win big!

We aren't the Kardashians, we are just the Vargas' and we are going through the "realest" hardest battle of our lives...This is our story....If you'd like to start reading from the very beginning click on November, on the lower right hand side of the page and the very first post is the "Adventure Begins"

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Love can move mountains!

First there were 2!
Someone saw our protest and left this at the door.....
Then there were dozens!


 
This is what was in that envelope, so those who say my protest doesn't matter, well it mattered enough for this person to leave a 10,000 dollar check at the door.

The morning of the occupation Yazzy Fresh and I started off annoyed with about 10 people who said they were going to be with us at 9am. Surprise, Surprise , they weren’t, some trickled in around 10 and some didn’t show up at all. I want to clarify that I am not talking about my cousins from Livingston, their brother was shot in the early AM and was in critical condition, they had a MORE than legitimate reason for not coming.  Our prayers are with them and if you’re a religious person I ask that you pray for him to.
Yaz asked if I wanted to wait until more people showed up, I told her, “No, we said we’d start the occupation at 9am and we will start at 9am!” Eventually our buddy Alan showed up,then Yazzys sister, then  my cousins, then more friends and family. At one point, a woman who had been screwed by Kaiser joined us and brought her own signs. She was also an ex- Kaiser patient and when she came down with a rare lung disease Kaiser jacked up her insurance to 1,000.00 a month and she could no longer afford it. NBC 11 showed up at 10am and we made it on the 6 o’clock news, the rest of the news stations didn’t have enough vans to send out(that’s code for we don’t think your “news worthy”), I interned in the newsroom for two years, I know what’s up.  
By 3pm we were protesting in FULL force! We had about 30 people out there with signs, someone gave me a blow horn and the rest is history. I took advantage of the 4 way stop and started telling South San Jose Mama Bears story. I was amazed at how many people rolled down their windows to listen, after hearing about MB and her struggle people would honk and send us their support.
 Not everyone was quite so friendly, a neurosurgeon at Kaiser flipped us off.  I can understand his anger BUT if he would have stopped to listen to our story maybe he would have understood our outrage. He wasn’t the only one to flip us off, others yelled at us and told us to go home. I apologize for making some of my Neighbors uncomfortable yesterday but we can’t keep pretending that our neighborhood Kaiser is the best ever. We can’t let injustices take place in our own backyard and look away. That’s what our parents and our grandparents did and that’s why are country is the way it is. That’s why the FDA is controlled by the pharmaceutical companies and our president can’t manage to provide his citizens with adequate health care. It’s time for WE the people to stand up and fight for ourselves and our future generations. We can’t wait for our politicians to change things. Like MB always says, if you want something done right you have to do it yourself. Yazzy Fresh and I witnessed an incredible injustice directed towards MB Monday and we didn’t just go quietly into the night…..WE FOUGHT BACK, WE INSPIRED OTHERS TO FIGHT BACK,WE MADE A DIFFERENCE and we’re not done. We will be back out there Monday and next Friday. We won’t stop until Kaiser provides Humane Healthcare to ALL their patients.
A special shout out to Yazzy Fresh, my partner in crime. She kept me focused, She gave me strength and without her I couldn’t have done any of this. When we were alone in the car I looked over at her and said, “You are my sister”.  Friends like Yazzy Fresh are hard to come by and I thank God for sending her my way. She worked so hard that her boyfriend thought she was obsessed,you’d swear it was her mother she was fighting for.
I thank everyone who came even for a little bit. Your support meant so much to us. Some people took the day off, others drove over 2 hours to get there, others brought us food. They all did it for the Love they have for MB.
When we finally made it home Friday night, MB told us that someone dropped off a bag of avocados on our doorstep and inside the bag there was an anonymous check for 10,000 dollars. God is definitely sending us Angels and letting us know that we are on the right path. Hearing this news made my day. One of our neighbors was so moved by our protest that they left this check. This inspires me to work harder and I THANK whoever gave us that money from the bottom of my heart. MB would like to let you know that you are her Angel and that when she is better she will personally go to Burzynski’s clinic and give a patient in need 10,000.00 to continue their treatment. So whoever you are, please know that you not only made a difference in our lives but you will be making a difference in another patient’s life as well. We Love you all. Thank You and Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment