Fighting Stage 4 Leiomyosarcoma one day at a time

Hello Everyone,

Thank You for visiting, I initially started this blog to keep family and close friends updated on our journey to Houston Texas, to visit with Dr. Burzynski, a world renowned doctor, who specializes in cancer.

A year and a half ago, MB was diagnosed with stage 4 Uterine Leiomyosarcoma and given no more than a year to live.

MB is only 50, she hasn't seen any of her kids get married or have babies. She still has a thirst for life, three kids and a Husband who absolutely adores her. My sister is 23 and youngest brother only 17. We still need our Mama Bear. If you are, or were, blessed enough to have an MB like mine, who has always loved you unconditionally and supported you, you will know how we feel. Nothing can replace a mother's love. Nothing.

Because MB's cancer is very aggressive, we had no time to waste. The very same day the doctor told us to prepare for hospice, MB and I said, "Fu*k That!", Hospice is a dirty word at our house.We started applying to the Burzynski Clinic as soon as we got home from the doctors appointmet, after 3 days of collecting medical records and sending faxes we were finally accepted.We never took time to think, we just acted. No more than a week and half after we were told to go home and prepare for death, we were on a plane headed to Houston TX in search of life and a second chance. We've left California and our family during Thanksgiving.

Even though the treatment is crazy expensive and we are away from home during the holidays, this is still the best decision we ever made. Sometimes you have to bet big to win big!

We aren't the Kardashians, we are just the Vargas' and we are going through the "realest" hardest battle of our lives...This is our story....If you'd like to start reading from the very beginning click on November, on the lower right hand side of the page and the very first post is the "Adventure Begins"

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Just when you'd written me off as the party girl with the big boobs, I go ahead and organize a protest and inadvertantly become "The Avocado Story"

Angel's keep leaving presents on our doorstep!
Thats me, about two months ago in the black dress on the right, this is when I was attending a bachelorette party every weekend, so much has changed since then........
The last couple of days have been surreal to say the least. Ever since an Angel or Angels left a 10,000 dollar cashiers check at the door we have been bombarded by requests for interviews. Yazzy and I organizing a protest from scratch wasn't enough, someone had to leave a ton of cash on our doorstep for the media to take notice. I'm always in awe of what makes people tick.

In a way, I'm glad that MB's cause is getting some attention. It's not fair that an HMO like Kaiser can deny her the treatment that she wants. I don't know why but maybe God chose our family for a reason. Maybe our story is meant to be heard so that people can see the goodness that still exists in the world. Maybe our story can inspire others.

This morning my cousin came to the house with a hundred dollar donation and ready to protest. I broke the news that we weren't protesting today. I can't protest everyday, someone still has to care from MB, she is a cancer patient after all. I won't neglect my Mother to stand on the street with a sign and have people flip me off and yell at me all day. I will only protest on days and times that MB doesn't need me, like this Friday!

When my cousin gave me her hundred dollars she said that she was going to take her daughter christmas shopping with the money but that she thought about it and decided MB needed the money more than her daughter needed the toys. My jaw hit the floor! Most people are willing to help you out as long as it doesn't inconvenience them or their plans. Very rarely, do you find someone who is willing to forgoe a shopping spree with their child so that their loved one can pay for their medication, especially during the holidays.

About 20 of my friends and family stood in the cold for hours yesterday with signs. Some drove over two hours to be with us. Again, jaw on floor. I thank everyone who physically shows up to show their support. I'm not going to lie, the people who tell me their with us in "spirit" kind of annoy me. If you really support our cause don't leave us alone to whether the cold. Show up, hold a sign and be about it, even if only for an hour. I'm not trying to offend anyone, i'm just trying to inspire you to stand up for what you believe in, stop letting everyone do all the work for you. A guy I used to date made a great point, he said he'd rather stand and protest with us then go home and just watch TV. Don't  get me wrong, I understand those who have families and commitments but if you know your just home watching TV then you should maybe think about your priorities in life.

Last Night,my lil sis' best friend and Boyfriend left a Christmas tree at the door. At this point my jaw is just mopping the floor all day. Our situation has brought out so much good, I can't even believe it. We all have a choice in the way we will live our lives, we can choose to work hard and accumulate the most wealth and show off or we can share the most Love and make the world a better place. Before MB got sick I wanted to be rich and famous, now I just want to pay it forward. This Christmas we will have a tree but my siblings and I have forgone presents. I'm thinking we will stuff our stallking with notes of Love instead. This year, we will tell eachother how much we Love and mean to eachother and be thankful that we are all still together. Priceless!

check out our press coverage:
http://www.ktvu.com/videos/news/san-jose-anonymous-10000-gift-brings-hope-for/vFWNP/

No comments:

Post a Comment