Fighting Stage 4 Leiomyosarcoma one day at a time

Hello Everyone,

Thank You for visiting, I initially started this blog to keep family and close friends updated on our journey to Houston Texas, to visit with Dr. Burzynski, a world renowned doctor, who specializes in cancer.

A year and a half ago, MB was diagnosed with stage 4 Uterine Leiomyosarcoma and given no more than a year to live.

MB is only 50, she hasn't seen any of her kids get married or have babies. She still has a thirst for life, three kids and a Husband who absolutely adores her. My sister is 23 and youngest brother only 17. We still need our Mama Bear. If you are, or were, blessed enough to have an MB like mine, who has always loved you unconditionally and supported you, you will know how we feel. Nothing can replace a mother's love. Nothing.

Because MB's cancer is very aggressive, we had no time to waste. The very same day the doctor told us to prepare for hospice, MB and I said, "Fu*k That!", Hospice is a dirty word at our house.We started applying to the Burzynski Clinic as soon as we got home from the doctors appointmet, after 3 days of collecting medical records and sending faxes we were finally accepted.We never took time to think, we just acted. No more than a week and half after we were told to go home and prepare for death, we were on a plane headed to Houston TX in search of life and a second chance. We've left California and our family during Thanksgiving.

Even though the treatment is crazy expensive and we are away from home during the holidays, this is still the best decision we ever made. Sometimes you have to bet big to win big!

We aren't the Kardashians, we are just the Vargas' and we are going through the "realest" hardest battle of our lives...This is our story....If you'd like to start reading from the very beginning click on November, on the lower right hand side of the page and the very first post is the "Adventure Begins"

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Who is MB.....???

MB, her mom is on the left, her sisters to the right and below her
MB is the strongest most amazing woman I know,she's not the nicest, that title goes to Mrs.. Howard but MB is still pretty damn amazing.

MB was born in Mexico, as a kid she loved playing and fighting. Believe it or not MB was scrappy. Anytime one of her sisters would have an encounter with a playground bully MB would run home, grease her tight curls and run back ready to fight. At this point, her older sister would faint and her younger sister would cheer her on. Even as a kid, MB was the one everyone would depend on. When she was 14 she moved to the United States, worked full time and paid her rent with her other sister and older brother. She was the first to learn to drive and taught everyone else. She is the middle child of 19, 12 of which are still alive today. Her small house in Mexico was so crowded she used to do her homework in a tree. Yes MB was a tomboy.

MB and PB met in Mexico dated long distance, lost touch for 3 years and one day as if by magic they reconnected at a bus stop of all places. Three months later at the tender age of 19 MB married PB. Apparently, I was conceived on the train ride from Mexico to the US. That's probably why I like to travel so much;) Anywho, when I was a baby MB would wake up at 4am go to work and then school, come home to PB, make dinner and take care of me.  I have no idea how she did it. She sacrificed a lot so that my siblings and I could have a better future.All her sacrifice paid off, I have a BA from UCLA and my sister from Cal State Hayward. My younger brother is only 18, too soon to tell what he will do.

MB has been the best Mother. When I was a kid, she would tell me I was pretty but that there would always be someone prettier than me, she'd tell me I was smart but that there would always be someone smarter than me.Basically, she always kept it real. I always laugh when I hear Mom's tell their kids that their the best ever, I always think, "damn that kids headed for a harsh reality check when he finds out he's not the best ever!". MB was always good at telling me I could accomplish anything if I stayed positive and worked hard. She is always the first to tell me when I'm not working hard enough or when I'm being lazy. Most importantly MB has always Loved me unconditionally and had my back no matter what. I'll never forget the countless times she flew to LA to help me out or make me feel better. People say I'm spoiled and my response to that has always been, "Don't be jealous that my Mom is the bomb!". I remember, not too long ago, I did an interactive play. In the play, I was a slutty 16 year old(I know what a stretch lol).As part of the play, audience members had to volunteer to become part of the play to correct my actions. I remember my shy Mother was the only one to volunteer to correct my characters actions. It was too funny, even as a fictional character MB wanted to make sure I did the right thing. I tear up just remembering how nervous she was on stage "acting" alongside me. That's my Mom. She's always had our backs, always.

MB is classy and reserved in public but when we're alone she cusses like a sailor. This past week she told my little sister to "fu*k me up, because I was being annoying". She tells me to shut the hell up when I call her Kim Jong. My sister and I mess with her and call her a dictator because she's bossy. MB fights back, which we like, it keeps her on her toes.

My close friends know that I can tell MB anything. I told her when I lost my virginity. I tell her about the guys I date and which ones suck in bed. MB knows it all. We have no secrets between us. Tonight, I was playing music for her and I kept picking songs she loved. We are so close we communicate telepathicaly. She always knows when I'm lying but she's so cool that she plays along until i'm ready to confess, which I always do.

As a wife MB has been exemplarary. PB isn't perfect. The world sees a handsome, charming Man but MB saw an emotionally disturbed, grumpy somewhat neurotic soul. She loved him so much she helped him seek counseling for his childhood issues and loved him through his pain. She has been his rock and I said it before and I'll say it again, she's the one who keeps him sane. When MB and PB had issues which all couples do, they sought out counseling and became stronger as a couple. The key to their succesful marriage is that they Love eachother and MB has been patient. As far as I know there's never been any infidelity. They are the best married couple I know.

MB is a great friend and neighbor, she's always been fair and kind. Never gossipy or annoying. Through this entire ordeal she has been blessed because she is a good person, plain and simple. If she hadn't been such a good woman throughout her life she wouldn't be getting all this Love now. Just recently, MB got her real estate lisence. She was never fully able to be an agent because 6 months after she got her lisence she got sick. Life is funny, we always think we'll have more time until we don't.

So, who is MB? She is the strongest, smartest most awesomest friend, mother, wife, sister, daughter, sister in law anyone could ask for. MB is the classiest lady I know. True Story.

MB's fave songs:
BeeGees Saturday Night Fever
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FECFb1_YdII

Frank Sinatra My Way
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E2hYDIFDIU

John Lennon Imagine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIFY9h8DImg

Los Bukis Quiereme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUQZILrshZw

3 comments:

  1. Dear M&M's

    IMAGINE - John Lennon is MY ALL TIME FAVORITE song as well as

    Juanes - A Dios le Pido and

    ONE DAY by Matisyahu

    Lighters - Bruno Mars/Eminem !!! Please Play the first 3 songs above for MB FROM ME………pretty please and thank you. I am going to listen to them now in her honor….. gonna try and be savvy like you and put them on here for MB myself…….I hope and pray I can come visit and we can sing these songs ToGeThEr !!
    -Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Juanes - A Dios Le Pido
    http://youtu.be/kMIaYXxLnUA

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRmBChQjZPs

    ReplyDelete