Fighting Stage 4 Leiomyosarcoma one day at a time

Hello Everyone,

Thank You for visiting, I initially started this blog to keep family and close friends updated on our journey to Houston Texas, to visit with Dr. Burzynski, a world renowned doctor, who specializes in cancer.

A year and a half ago, MB was diagnosed with stage 4 Uterine Leiomyosarcoma and given no more than a year to live.

MB is only 50, she hasn't seen any of her kids get married or have babies. She still has a thirst for life, three kids and a Husband who absolutely adores her. My sister is 23 and youngest brother only 17. We still need our Mama Bear. If you are, or were, blessed enough to have an MB like mine, who has always loved you unconditionally and supported you, you will know how we feel. Nothing can replace a mother's love. Nothing.

Because MB's cancer is very aggressive, we had no time to waste. The very same day the doctor told us to prepare for hospice, MB and I said, "Fu*k That!", Hospice is a dirty word at our house.We started applying to the Burzynski Clinic as soon as we got home from the doctors appointmet, after 3 days of collecting medical records and sending faxes we were finally accepted.We never took time to think, we just acted. No more than a week and half after we were told to go home and prepare for death, we were on a plane headed to Houston TX in search of life and a second chance. We've left California and our family during Thanksgiving.

Even though the treatment is crazy expensive and we are away from home during the holidays, this is still the best decision we ever made. Sometimes you have to bet big to win big!

We aren't the Kardashians, we are just the Vargas' and we are going through the "realest" hardest battle of our lives...This is our story....If you'd like to start reading from the very beginning click on November, on the lower right hand side of the page and the very first post is the "Adventure Begins"

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

MB Kicking Ass and Taking Names!

Telemundo came today...MB made sure to remind them that she's sad because her insurance company has abandoned her in her greatest time of need!

Today, for reasons that I can't disclose just yet, I was not able to make it to MBs doctors appointment. In a way its good that I missed it because I would have definitely ripped the doctor a new one. I made sure MB had plenty of back up, I sent Yazzy Fresh and my cousin Rosa and they did just great without me.

Yazzy said that as soon as the doctor walked in and saw that I wasn't there she breathed a huge sigh of relief. The doctor brought a social worker to the appointment for so called "support", we've never had a social worker at our appointment, she was there to back up the doctor and be a witness to my craziness in case I got out of hand, HA, jokes on them I didn't go. I love surprises and by this time Kaiser should know they aren't playing with an ameteur!

From what Yazzy Fresh and Rosa reported back MB held her own and then some. Yaz said MB walked in and all the nurses and techs were running to catch a glimpse of their little celebrity. I'm sure when they saw her cute little butt they were probably wondering why Kaiser was so scared of her.

When it was time for her to go over the Pet Scan MB surprised her by saying," I already know about the tumor on my leg". The doctor was in shock and Yaz says she very obviously fell off script. The doctor stuttered and asked MB how she knew of the results. MB haughtily replied, "My daughter picked up my Pet Scan results Monday and read them to me, those are my results and I'm the patient and I can get them whenever I WANT!" Score MB! After hearing MB's response the doctor very humbly read the pet scan, had nothing new to offer and pissed MB off more when she told her she could get her a second opinion at Stanford. At this point MB was like, "What! when I wanted to go to Stanford a YEAR ago for a second opinion you guys refused to refer me! " My cousin was in a state of pure shock, she was with us in February when we were fighting for that Stanford referral. Now it's too little to late. MB wants Dr. B and she's gonna get Dr. B!

The funniest part of the appointment was when the doctor offered to examine MB, MB was like, "why? you just gonna poke me, do nothing and send me home with more pain pills???.No thank you!" and then she stormed off. I hate that I missed this but am so proud of her for standing up for herself.When MB came home she's like, "what they think I'm dumb! they think i'm just some little mouse they can play with? hell no!" Damn I Love this woman, I love her fire, her energy, her strength and Kaiser, Cancer or nothing else will ever take that away from her, EVER!

 I honestly feel that as soon as they deemed MB terminal they wrote her off and stopped wanting to spend money on her. At this point I'm sure they are all thinking, "Why isn't she dead yet?! why is her crazy daughter protesting!? and why am I working on my winter break because of these crazy latinas!"

Answer, cause we are some BAD ASS BITCHES!....I thought you knew!

No comments:

Post a Comment