Fighting Stage 4 Leiomyosarcoma one day at a time

Hello Everyone,

Thank You for visiting, I initially started this blog to keep family and close friends updated on our journey to Houston Texas, to visit with Dr. Burzynski, a world renowned doctor, who specializes in cancer.

A year and a half ago, MB was diagnosed with stage 4 Uterine Leiomyosarcoma and given no more than a year to live.

MB is only 50, she hasn't seen any of her kids get married or have babies. She still has a thirst for life, three kids and a Husband who absolutely adores her. My sister is 23 and youngest brother only 17. We still need our Mama Bear. If you are, or were, blessed enough to have an MB like mine, who has always loved you unconditionally and supported you, you will know how we feel. Nothing can replace a mother's love. Nothing.

Because MB's cancer is very aggressive, we had no time to waste. The very same day the doctor told us to prepare for hospice, MB and I said, "Fu*k That!", Hospice is a dirty word at our house.We started applying to the Burzynski Clinic as soon as we got home from the doctors appointmet, after 3 days of collecting medical records and sending faxes we were finally accepted.We never took time to think, we just acted. No more than a week and half after we were told to go home and prepare for death, we were on a plane headed to Houston TX in search of life and a second chance. We've left California and our family during Thanksgiving.

Even though the treatment is crazy expensive and we are away from home during the holidays, this is still the best decision we ever made. Sometimes you have to bet big to win big!

We aren't the Kardashians, we are just the Vargas' and we are going through the "realest" hardest battle of our lives...This is our story....If you'd like to start reading from the very beginning click on November, on the lower right hand side of the page and the very first post is the "Adventure Begins"

Friday, December 16, 2011

And the media came to us................

MB has been doing interviews all week!
Two weeks ago MB begged and pleaded with her doctor to prescribe medications that were costing 1,700 dollars a week to pay for out of pocket. Her doctor very coldly told her NO and sent her on her way. Before I left the room I made it clear that we wouldn't call the media, I let her know that our protest would be so huge, the media would call us. Less than a week later I kept my word. NBC was the first to cover our story.

Someone who saw the very first protest was so moved that they left a 10,000 dollar anonymous cashiers check at the door. After Fox did the story CBS, NBC and Univision called wanting an interview with MB. After Univision called Kaiser asking for a statement Kaiser knew we weren't playing. This morning the Vice President at Kaiser, Irene Chavez called and set up an interview. It only took three protests and four networks hounding them for them to take us seriously.

Watching MB do interviews is awe inspiring, even though she's tired and has cold sores from the therapy she still manages to muster up the energy to talk to the media. Yesterday she wasn't feeling very well but she still sat down and talked to NBC. When MB walks into the room everyone is at attention, she has the presence of a star and everyone hushes to listen to what she has to say. There is this energy of peace that follows her.When she's done doing the interviews they take off her microphone and she very quietly and stoicly walks away. As I watch her leave the room, i'm sure everyone's thinking, "Elvis has left the building". She's that powerful.

As my family sat and talked about everything that was going on, we thought about how  many sick people who DON'T have MB's support system and advocates just go home and die when places like Kaiser deny them care. We thought of the hundreds of sick people with no voice. We reflected on how lucky we are to have eachother and Love eachother so much.

Tonight, Bob Marley's "One Love" played as I stood surrounded by friends, family and strangers on the corner of Cottle and Santa Teresa protesting. I was not only standing in the cold for MB, I was standing there for everyone who is too sick to stand up for themselves. I stand for Kaiser's future patients. I stand so that no one has to go through the pain and suffering that MB has gone through, because at the end of the day what hurts one of us hurts all of us! If we let Kaiser get away with all the negligence and lack of care now they will do it again to someone else. MB quietly said to herself, maybe this is happening for a reason, maybe this is our reason for being, God must think we are some bad ass bitches to give us this task!

A psychic once told MB not to worry about me because I was going to make history, this was about 10 years ago. I cried when MB told me this, because I have always felt deep down that I was put on this planet to do something. Maybe, this is it, maybe this is just the beginning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdB-8eLEW8g

1 comment:

  1. Dear M&M's…..

    Here's to Hope!! Praying that Kaiser listens this time and that your Awe Inspiring MB gets the meds that she needs to BEAT THIS DREADFUL DISEASE!! I am so very proud of you and the people that were able to participate in the Awakening of the Spirit of Love!! I am not making excuses when I say that I work from 6a-6p and can barely afford gas for my commute from Stockton to Livermore!! The Cold wouldn't have bothered me and I can make signs all day to help if I had the material but what I don't have in this economy is extra money!!! I felt bad that I couldn't be Present and Accounted for in person…… :-( I have followed this story since I first heard about it and I have shared it around the world and would do it over and over again!!! I agree that giving a voice to those who other wise would not have a chance is most likely part of the bigger picture that God has intended for you!! I am going to now share the INTERVIEWS with those that have visited the blog from around the world to let them know that PROGRESS was MADE !! Keep up the good work and I cannot express how Awesome I think you "Two Dynamic Duo Diva's" are !! Peace, Love, Joy and Happiness……..Always and Forever.

    ReplyDelete