Fighting Stage 4 Leiomyosarcoma one day at a time

Hello Everyone,

Thank You for visiting, I initially started this blog to keep family and close friends updated on our journey to Houston Texas, to visit with Dr. Burzynski, a world renowned doctor, who specializes in cancer.

A year and a half ago, MB was diagnosed with stage 4 Uterine Leiomyosarcoma and given no more than a year to live.

MB is only 50, she hasn't seen any of her kids get married or have babies. She still has a thirst for life, three kids and a Husband who absolutely adores her. My sister is 23 and youngest brother only 17. We still need our Mama Bear. If you are, or were, blessed enough to have an MB like mine, who has always loved you unconditionally and supported you, you will know how we feel. Nothing can replace a mother's love. Nothing.

Because MB's cancer is very aggressive, we had no time to waste. The very same day the doctor told us to prepare for hospice, MB and I said, "Fu*k That!", Hospice is a dirty word at our house.We started applying to the Burzynski Clinic as soon as we got home from the doctors appointmet, after 3 days of collecting medical records and sending faxes we were finally accepted.We never took time to think, we just acted. No more than a week and half after we were told to go home and prepare for death, we were on a plane headed to Houston TX in search of life and a second chance. We've left California and our family during Thanksgiving.

Even though the treatment is crazy expensive and we are away from home during the holidays, this is still the best decision we ever made. Sometimes you have to bet big to win big!

We aren't the Kardashians, we are just the Vargas' and we are going through the "realest" hardest battle of our lives...This is our story....If you'd like to start reading from the very beginning click on November, on the lower right hand side of the page and the very first post is the "Adventure Begins"

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Oh Papa Bear aka Grumpy

He even looks like Robert Deniro!

If you've ever seen "Everybody's Fine" with Robert De Niro then you've met my Papa Bear. De Niro's character in that movie IS PB. PB has a huge heart and loves us sooo much that sometimes he doesn't know what to do with all his feelings.

On the days that MB is'nt feeling so well PB flips out, he literally has a system overload! Saturday was his Birthday and we went to see his cousins son who had just been shot. After that we went to straighten out some legal issues with one of our properties,not the best birthday for poor PB. When we were finally done taking care of business, we met up with family in Modesto and PB began to unwind by drinking and laughing with a long lost relative.

On the ride home PB was chocolate chip wasted! The ride was emotional. Baby Bear drove, I sat in the passenger seat and PB sat right behind me. We listened to 80's music and at one point PB grabbed my head with his strong callused hands and leaned his forehead against the back of my head and just sobbed. He asked me if I remembered all the roadtrips that we used to take with MB. I am eight years older than my siblings and PB, MB and I have a lot of memories driving to LA,San Diego and Mexico before my lil bro and sis ever came along. We were the three amigos always off on a new adventure. I take after PB, he has always been an adventurer always challenged me to try new things and go to new places. I told him I did remember and that when MB was all better we'd take another roadtrip. We have to have faith and keep hope alive.

When we finally arrived home, I sat with PB as he spoke of his soulmate. He calls Mama Bear "Mariquita" and loves talking about what a nice body she had and how beautiful she was. He told me that when he'd walk in a room with her all eyes were on them and he always felt like the luckiest guy on the planet to have such a beautiful woman with such a strong constitution at his side. He has always admired MB's calm strength and charisma and I don't think he knows how to live without her. Sometimes I don't know who suffers more, the patient or the people that love them?


No comments:

Post a Comment