Fighting Stage 4 Leiomyosarcoma one day at a time

Hello Everyone,

Thank You for visiting, I initially started this blog to keep family and close friends updated on our journey to Houston Texas, to visit with Dr. Burzynski, a world renowned doctor, who specializes in cancer.

A year and a half ago, MB was diagnosed with stage 4 Uterine Leiomyosarcoma and given no more than a year to live.

MB is only 50, she hasn't seen any of her kids get married or have babies. She still has a thirst for life, three kids and a Husband who absolutely adores her. My sister is 23 and youngest brother only 17. We still need our Mama Bear. If you are, or were, blessed enough to have an MB like mine, who has always loved you unconditionally and supported you, you will know how we feel. Nothing can replace a mother's love. Nothing.

Because MB's cancer is very aggressive, we had no time to waste. The very same day the doctor told us to prepare for hospice, MB and I said, "Fu*k That!", Hospice is a dirty word at our house.We started applying to the Burzynski Clinic as soon as we got home from the doctors appointmet, after 3 days of collecting medical records and sending faxes we were finally accepted.We never took time to think, we just acted. No more than a week and half after we were told to go home and prepare for death, we were on a plane headed to Houston TX in search of life and a second chance. We've left California and our family during Thanksgiving.

Even though the treatment is crazy expensive and we are away from home during the holidays, this is still the best decision we ever made. Sometimes you have to bet big to win big!

We aren't the Kardashians, we are just the Vargas' and we are going through the "realest" hardest battle of our lives...This is our story....If you'd like to start reading from the very beginning click on November, on the lower right hand side of the page and the very first post is the "Adventure Begins"

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Angels all Around Us



Taliboo sweet enough to take me all the way to the Third Ward to get some Thelma's
No matter how hard I try I will never fully understand how MB feels and what she's going through, Luckily Barb does and they have been a great support system for eachother


This is our Cali crew in FULL effect. West Coast! Barb and Her Hubby are next to MB, Jimmy's wife is next to me, Jimmy is in the picture down below, he had to have an Amino acid infusion because he refuses to eat HEALTHY, he would!:)
 
Jimmy is a character, he refused to see the nutritionist and when my MB told him he had to drink 6 glasses of water a day he was like, "Says WHO!"


Our trip to Texas has been amazing to say the least. Every single person we met at the clinic or elsewhere was so special. I have never met so many good hearted people at one time. MB's new friends made her laugh, gave her tips on insurance companies and inspired her.

Today MB was extremely tired from the chemo she was given Monday. Dr Burzynski does use chemo when the caris report says it would be beneficial. I told MB that if she felt that bad she could skip the clinic. MB said, "No, My friend Barb still goes on the days she feels bad and I will too". MB threw on her clothes and waddled her little butt to the car. Who do you think was the very first person we see when we got to the clinic? Barb, MB lit up and was like, "You inspired me to come today", Barb was like, " I did?". All Barb had to do to inspire MB was show up when she felt like shit, how crazy is that?!

Jimmy and his wife are our other faves, Jimmy is just a comedian and his wife is so great to talk to. Really down to earth amazing people. Everyone gets different treatments because Dr. B specailizes the treatment to your tumor. Some only have to take 3 relatively cheap meds while others are given 6 meds and 2 of them are 500 dollars a day. One lady was charged 26,000 for one infusion of chemo!Jimmy and his wife made up this thing, whenever anyone walks out of the financial office, their like so, did you buy a new car or a used car. It's their way of making light of the incredible stress of having to pay the first months meds on your own.

Taliboo is another Angel placed in my path. When I first met him I thought he was full of shit but he has been so kind and treated me so well its unbelievable. We met last Wednesday and have seen eachother everyday except Thanksgiving. When MB and I were at the clinic she was making fun of me and calling me a cougar in front of her friends. She was like, "can you believe she's been dating this 25 year old for almost two weeks, she's just like her grandfather, hoes in every area code ".Way to put me on blast MB!

My friend VTOWN said I had to try Thelma's BBQ cause she saw it on TV. Taliboo was nice enough to take me and Thank God he did. When I walked into Thelma's I quickly text VTOWN and was like, "what show did you say you saw this place on, was it America's most wanted!?" The place was pretty ghetto but I'm guessing that's part of its charm. Taliboo is relatively shy but bared with me while I made him take my picture, I can be pretty embarrasing but I think I got some good shots for VTOWN. He just kept telling people I was from California, I'm sure people must have been wondering why the hell I was so excited to be at Thelma's!

Taliboo and I have discussed what will happen to us when I leave. We've decided to just play it by ear, lets be realistic, where could this possibly go?!?!?...We live in two different states! He is a good looking guy with a great personality and I aint to shabby. I'm sure we will both meet other people in our zip codes eventually. I am just grateful for the time we have spent together. He has been my Rock and I couldn't have survived this trip without him! I am grateful for all our Angels, Jimmy, Barb, and their spouses. I pray everyday that Barb, MB and Jimmy make it, I see us all having a reuinion when they are all healthy. It will happen!


1 comment:

  1. Good Morning Ladies…..
    I agree….time will tell and GOD put you ALL together for a reason…a Reunion sounds amazing…. :-) clicking before I get in the shower have an Awesome Day……I think how happy PB will be when he see's his other half :-)

    ReplyDelete